Monday, October 26, 2009

Variables

The laws of physics are constantly in motion. Acceleration, friction, traction, inertia, etc. etc. come into play when one takes the wheel. In addition to what the physicists thought up, there is always the human factor, the weather factor, the road factor, the vehicle factor and the other driver factor that will bear heavily on the performance of the one behind the wheel.
Variables.
Any moron can speed but the one that understands the variables mentioned above are more likely to get you safely from point A to point B. Formula One drivers, for example, are a group especially sensitive to these factors when on the track and ironically even then, we see 'spectacular' crashes.
There are days when I turn into a moron too; as soon as an empty highway or stretch of road presents itself, my foot becomes heavier. However, variables flash, and my foot will ease off the pedal. The reality is there is going to be someone out there driving just as fast or faster than me. Worse still, this moron may NOT be using a hands-free set or worse still, be TEXTING while driving at 120 kph. Anyway, the moron in me draws the line at tailgating, overtaking at double lines and beating a red light.
I HATE tailgaters and to tell them to back off, I currently have this sign on the back window of my car ' Not so close, hardly know you'. The original sign I had rubbed my father the wrong way because he felt the language on it was unbecoming of a teacher - that's how much he respects the profession I'm in. So, out of respect for him, the sign that reads ' Bumper to bumper, butt to butt, get off my arse, you crazy nut!' hangs on my dressing room mirror, kind of a reminder to myself.
I drive a car with a registration plate that is not of the state I live in. So I am often the victim of tailgaters who believe that they can navigate better or go about 8 seconds faster, even in an unprecedented jam or in a long convoy of cars. I have no ego problems, people. If they tailgate, more often, I will do my best to move aside and allow them passage even if there is a 18 wheeler coming in the opposite direction at 130 kph. The variable more often points to the outcome that if I don't move out of the way, my car's going to be rear ended by a moron.
Stop and allow someone to reverse into traffic, buckle up , follow a motorcyclist on a two lane road until there is sufficient space to overtake, slow down/make way if there is an ambulance in front, behind or coming in the opposite direction, use your stylish indicators (signals), overtake without giving the drivers in the other cars heart attacks - all these actions will create changes in variables across the time space continuum; God willing for the better.
Variables, people, variable. Bear that in mind every time you get behind the wheel of a car. Let's not wait for an Op Sikap, we need a perubahan sikap, attitude adjustment. We need to be both careful as well as defensive drivers. I am beginning with this woman and her mirror. I begin and end each journey with a prayer. However, God helps those who help themselves. May God bless us road users.

p.s. Naim Nasir, we were obviously thinking about the same thing today...and interestingly, I have that YouTube download too. This one I call 'Second Chance'

No comments:

Post a Comment