Monday, November 9, 2009

Farewell to another generation


Last year, on Nov 4th, I posted in Facebook a farewell note to the Class of 0408. However in my mind's eye, I knew I'd see them soon enough for results and HK.


Yesterday, almost a year later, on the 8th, I truly bid them farewell. One by one, heads held high, looking regal in their robes, they walked across the stage to the resounding applause of family, teachers, friends and juniors to receive their badges of honour. They had completed 5 years here and as testament, they received their scrolls. Though not all of them could make it, the feelings were just as profound.
It was, well in a way, also a moment of vindication for me . When Gajen and Mahhe got their honours, I thanked God for answering my prayers. Many a times I reassured their parents that these boys, sorry, young men could handle anything thrown their way because they were all rounders...that was the level of faith I had in their abilities. When both their mums hugged me yesterday thanking me for being a part of their sons' lives, I almost sobbed in relieve that I had done right by them.
Whatever may have transpired between the batch of 0408 and I, through the years they will eventually accumulate into whimsical memories that will, more often than not, put a smile on my face.
Another set of faces, another hundred thousand moments, memories. Part and parcel of blessings in the life of a teacher.

1 comment:

  1. always thankful you were part of my life too.
    high school was some of the most difficult times for me and you were one of the few anchors to my then frail sanity :D

    ~ Lin

    ReplyDelete