Sunday, November 21, 2010

Bravery ...Redefined?


I like tinkering around the house. Earlier this week I took it upon myself to do something about the filtered, yet not-so-filtered water that has been staining my white towels. I decided to install an indoor filter for my washing machine. After confirming the size of the pipe (0.5 inch pipes run into the 0.75 inch filter sockets and reverse on the exit) and appropriate valves and 'nipples' ( interesting name for threaded pipe connectors), I went shopping at my favourite hardware store in KS.

The owners, the Yongs, are so used to me and DIY projects that they did not bat an eyelid when I started rattling off my shopping list whilst offering technical advice. The one who was caught by surprise was their shop assistant. She dutifully followed me around the shop helping me get things I needed. She is relatively new; she started working there after I finished my room repainting project, some time in April. As I stood there comparing fixtures, she asked me why was I buying all those things. I happily rattled off my plans for my indoor plumbing stint. She gave me this look of disbelieve (I am used to getting that look from most hardware shop owners) and amazement ( Not a look I am used to) . However, the words that came out of her mouth were the ones that surprised me. She said,

' Wah! Kakak sungguh berani. Ini kerja lelaki, bukan perempuan. Itu bukan kerja senang. Wah!'

(Literal translation 'Wow! Sis (you are) so brave. This is man's work, not woman's. Its not an easy task. Wow!')

Happy to report that my filter is installed (but I put a red basin as a back up measure ) and I have done a few cycles of stain free laundry.

Calling my actions brave, and this coming from a girl who has left every thing and everyone she knows to earn a living to support her loved ones, I feel unworthy. She is the brave one. I merely did what needed to be done. Interesting though how some people perceive doing what needs to be done is today an act of bravery. In my case, plumbing.



1 comment: